Wednesday, July 27, 2011

White Chocolate Lime Truffles

   I love chocolate truffles, and I love making them. Truffles were the beginning of my candy making obsession. The first time I made them was for friends and family on Christmas. I made three different flavors; chocolate, orange, and raspberry. Everyone loved them and asked when I would make them again. It was the beginning of a once a year tradition.
   Every year after that I made truffles in different flavors, and everyone continued to compliment them. So, I decided to do some research and learn more about chocolate. I went from cream cheese in my truffles to ganache (a mixture of chocolate and heavy whipping cream). I do like the cream cheese recipes but I found them to be a little on the rich side. Now, whenever I can, I also try to add things like orange zest instead of the flavoring. It brings more flavor to the truffles. Although, I do like them with flavoring; sometimes you can't get a specific flavor any other way. That being said, the candy I will be making will be made both ways.
   These truffles are creamy with a nice combination of white chocolate and lime. They are a perfact treat for a late summer afternoon. So, here is the recipe. I hope you enjoy them.


     You will need:

      1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
      11 oz. white chocolate chips
      2 cups white candy coating
      zest of 2 limes
      lime green clolor sugar


      What you need to do:

        1. Pour 11 ounces of white chocolate chips into a medium sized bowl. In a saucepan heat heavy whipping cream just to boiling, and pour over white chocolate chips. Stir until smooth.
        2. Add lime zest to the mixture and stir until mixed well. Put into the fridge for 30 minutes or until set.
        3. Using a small cookie scoop or spoon scoop up some ganache and roll it into a ball, continue until the bowl is empty. Place them onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and place them in the freezer for about 15 to 30 minutes.
        4. In a bowl melt the candy coating in the microwave in 30 sec. intervals and stir after each until smooth.
       5. Coat the truffles with the candy coating until completely covered. place them back onto the cookie sheet and top with lime green sugar. Place back into the fridge for 30 minutes. Store in an air tight container in the fridge. They should last for 1 to 2 weeks.

2 comments:

  1. Ooooooooh that sounds tasty and fairly easy (i.e. there's a chance I might not totally screw it up, ha)
    New fan here!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so easy to make. It very yummy. :)

    ReplyDelete